I am sure I am not the only one guilty of this offense. Thankfully, this particular fly problem was pretty easy to address. After taking a few photos for the blog, I put the puppet away in the closet.
This, as puppets go, is a fairly inexpensive and quick puppet build. The materials used:
- 5 sheets of 8.5" x11" craft felt, 45¢ per sheet, in pink olive, goldenrod, fuzzy black, black
- 2 plastic 18mm faux pearls, 4 per bag for $1.99 each- pearl paint removed
- 1 red sports shoe string, hollow style, $1.79 per pair
- 3 styrofoam balls 2" diameter, 79¢ each
- 12 feet of 16 gage armature wire (armature wire from Utrecht is approx. $5.00 for 33 feet)
- 2" of 2-part hardening epoxy putty (this is a small portion of a larger tube that costs around $6.00)
- 6 T-nuts, at 23¢ each
- 1/8 yard of translucent blue fabric scrap– fabric store scrap bin purchase, 80¢
- 23 gage (thin) armature wire, special lab purchase 35¢ for 24 feet; not all 24 feet were used
- 1 sewing needle and some thread (blue, black and olive)
- 1 hand full of cotton cosmetic puffs (cotton balls, an entire bag is 99¢)
- some Elmer's glue all
The bee, because that is really what this character is, took about 8 hours to assemble. I made it in small shifts on a number of different days. Now it is ready to animate...as soon as it is done eating this cup cake.